
Sailing on and off for 40 something years, member of RANSA, Saltwater Veterans.
NE 10kt 1st reef and headsail making 3 kts, too lazy to get the gennaker out and flying, iron top sail set instead.
2

Pelican Island to Mackay Harbour, Australia
Breeze forecast 15 E, was looking forward to a reach as we were planning to head S breeze 12 to 15 SSE, more S than E, again, motor sailing with two reefs in the main and staysail to make the ride more comfortable than beating with sails only. 3.5 hr nice day out on the water. Anchored with 5mt under the keel, 36mt scope with long snubber and all is well.

Cumberland Islands to Pelican Island, Australia
Kate Phillips - Hope you get a nice day tomorrow with it finally coming from the NE 🤞. We are off in the morning, hope to see you down the track ⛵️🍹
Add a comment...
ESE breeze consistent at 16 to 20 kts, sailing conservatively with 2 reefs in the main and staysail, constant sail and slight course changes in an effort to maintain boat speed whilst remaining comfortable onboard, beating to windward becoming time consuming when considering SOG towards destination Goldsmith Is meant I started the iron top sail (engine) to maintain SOG at 30AWA. Arrived NW side of Goldsmith Is, dropped anchor in 6mt using a 40mt rode and long snubber, wind remains consistent 15kt with stinger gusts.

Brush Island to Cumberland Islands, Australia
Rain showers yesterday for hike to top of Whitsunday Island continued overnight and this morning during the forenoon whilst anchored at CID harbour. After bailing out the fresh water pool, ( dinghy) picked up the anchor at 1100 and continued south into the ESE breeze and swell, this was ok until we cleared south of Dent island when the breeze increased to 18 to 22 kt at 20 deg AWA. Motor sailing with staysail eng 1800 rpm making speed in mid 4’s with flooding tide and rain squalls, not a lot of fun. Arriving into the lee of Shaw island gave us KaiEa some welcome relief from the wind and swell but not the rain, say la vie. Anchored with 5mt under the keel, 40mt scope with the usual long snubber then back down to check anchor secure. anchor in

Gilling Point to Brush Island, Australia
Slow start dodging bommies to exit Hook reef lagoon and then enjoyed a SE 12 to 15kts which made for great sail running on full reacher and two reefs in the mainsail, touched hull speed 7.8kts a couple of times, picked up public mooring for the arvo/evening in Butterfly bay after a lovely sail.

Coastal Waters Of Great Barrier Reef to Butterfly Bay, Australia
A half hour walk ashore before weighing anchor and getting underway using the old iron top sail to transit Gloucester passage, transit 1 hour before high tide, at east side exit hoisted mainsail with 2 reefs and both headsails. Breeze was forecast 10 to 12 SE whilst we were sailing east in 16 to 20 E 38nm toward Hayman Island tacking 17nm to go 7nm as the crow flies. To arrive prior to sunset meant the iron top sail needed to be fired up as the wind dropped to 10kt easterly. Arrived at Blue Pearl bay (Hayman Island) 10 mins before sundown to pick up a public mooring buoy and watch a beautiful orange sunset.

Bona Bay to Hayman Island, Australia
Checked out Bowen beachside markets with Koji & Jack early and a brief catch up with Dad & Kath before heading back to KaiEa and prepping to get underway. During hoist of furled reacher the halyard snap shackle lanyard caught the jumper, shackle opened and reacher head jammed between mast and diagonals at the second spreader, bugger! The Admiral in climbing harness hoisted up the mast to retrieve the halyard and sort out reacher head. 10mins later all sorted, engine started to assist in weighing anchor then underway with full main and headsail in a pleasant 10 to 12 kt ESE breeze. Wind continued to freshen during the afternoon to 22, 24 kts. Decision then to head into the lee of Gloucester Is SW side to drop the hook and wait for the breeze to settle down.

Queens Beach to Bona Bay, Australia